Relocation expenses in Germany
Employees can deduct relocation expenses if the costs are job-related and when the costs are not reimbursed by employer. Expenses for privately motivated relocations are not deductible as expenses.
Relocation expenses are work-relatef if
- you are moving from abroad to Germany, starting a new job in Germany
- the distance between home and workplace is significantly reduced i.e. daily travelling time is reduced by at least one hour
- the relocation is caused by working for a new employer or starting a new job
- a double household is set-up or teminated
Overview about deductible relocation expenses
- Transport of household goods
- Travelling costs e.g. costs for flight, train, car etc.
- Accommodation costs e.g. hotel costs
- Agency fee
- Double rent
- Other expenses e.g. registration costs, registration certificates for cars etc.